Battery AMTB 964
Battery AMTB 964 (1943-1946) - Battery AMTB 964 was a reinforced concrete World War II AMTB rapid fire 90mm gun battery on Peak's Island Military Reservation, Peak's Island, Cumberland County, Maine. Battery construction started in 1943, was completed in 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use in 1943. Deactivated in 1946.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Portland, Maine. There were two AMTB batteries on Peaks's Island Military Reservation. Battery AMTB 963 was on the southeast end of the island and covered the White Head passage. Battery AMTB 964 was located on the northeast end of the island and covered the approach to Hussey Sound.
Each AMTB battery at Peak's Island consisted of two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M3 fixed gun mounts and two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M1A1 mobile gun mounts. Concrete pads were provided for both fixed guns and often wooden gun platforms were provided for the mobile guns. Two earth covered concrete magazines provided protection for the ammunition. Electric power was provided by M-7 portable generators.
The battery had a dual mission of defense against fast enemy motor torpedo boats and enemy aircraft. The effective range of the guns was about 8,000 yards or 4.5 miles. Each weapon required a crew of 15, 9 men in the gun squad and 6 men in the ammunition squad.
Private property, no period gun or mounts in place but the gun blocks are mostly visible.
Visited: 24 Jun 2012