Battery AMTB 966
Battery AMTB 966 (1943-1946) - Battery AMTB 966 was a reinforced concrete World War II AMTB rapid fire 90mm gun battery on Long Island Military Reservation, Long Island, Cumberland County, Maine. Battery construction started in 1943, was completed in 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use in 1943. Deactivated in 1946.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Portland, Maine. There were two AMTB batteries on Long Island Military Reservation. Battery AMTB 965 was on the southeast end of the island and covered the approach to Hussey Sound. Battery AMTB 966 was located on the northeast end of the island and covered the passage between Long Island and the Great Chebeague Islands.
Each AMTB battery at Long Island consisted of two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M3 fixed gun mounts and two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M1A1 mobile gun mounts. Concrete pads were provided for both fixed guns and often wooden gun platforms were provided for the mobile guns. Two earth covered concrete magazines provided protection for the ammunition. Electric power was provided by M-7 portable generators.
The battery had a dual mission of defense against fast enemy motor torpedo boats and enemy aircraft. The effective range of the guns was about 8,000 yards or 4.5 miles. Each weapon required a crew of 15, 9 men in the gun squad and 6 men in the ammunition squad.
Private property, no period gun or mounts in place but the gun blocks are mostly visible.