Battery Bailey (1)
Battery Bailey (1) (1862-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War earthworks gun battery established in 1862 in Montgomery County, Maryland. Named Battery Bailey in G.O. 83, 1 Apr 1863, after Colonel Guilford D. Bailey, (Cullum 1727), 1st New York Light Artillery, who was killed 31 May 1862 at the Battle of Fair Oaks, Virginia. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Bailey
Established in November-December 1862 as an "C" shaped earthworks gun battery with emplacements for six field guns. Armament included two field pieces emplaced after July 1864.
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Battery Bailey is on a hilltop in Westmoreland Hills Park,. Gun emplacements have been restored and are still visible. A marker at the site parking lot and several interpretive panels before the battery.