Battery Barber (1898-1913) - Battery Thomas Barber was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period, 8 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Monroe, Hampton City, Virginia. The battery was named in G.O. 20, 25 Jan 1906, after BG Thomas H. Barber, U.S. Volunteers, who died 16 Mar 1905. The Battery was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 1 Nov 1898 at a cost of $ 1,663.39. Deactivated in 1913.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Chesapeake Bay.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with one 8" M1888 gun mounted on an M1892 Barbette carriage.
Visited: 22 Jul 2010