Battery Bayard (2) (1862-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1862 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Battery Bayard probably after Brevet Brigadier General of Volunteers, regular Captain USA, George D. Bayard (Cullum 1721), 4th U.S. Cavalry, who died 14 Dec 1862 from wounds received at Fredericksburg, Virginia, during the U.S. Civil War. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Bayard (2)
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Fort Bayard & Battery Bayard Plan
Established in 1862 as an outworks of Fort Bayard (1) with emplacements for three guns. This battery was not normally armed but was intended to provide a prepared battery for field pieces if they were required. The battery was actually located adjacent to the fort accessed by a stairway over the fort wall. The battery continued into a rifle pit on the right side.
The battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, shown on the Fort Bayard marker.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 133-134.
Visited: 26 May 2013