Battery Belmont (1900-1956) - Battery Belmont was a reinforced concrete coastal gun battery on Fort Rodd Hill, British Columbia, Canada. The battery was built in 1899-1900 with two 12-pounder guns in separate emplacements. The battery was modified during World War II to mount twin 6-pounder guns in a single emplacement. Deactivated in 1956.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Victoria and Esquimalt Harbors.
Battery Belmont was built in 1900 with two 12-pounder guns in separate emplacements. The battery provided protection for the ships in Esquimalt Harbor against fast enemy torpedo boats.
World War II (1941-1945)
The two 12-pounder pedestal mounted guns were replaced during World War II with a single twin-barrel 6-pounder gun that was faster and more accurate. Additional changes to the battery included a new crew shelter, magazine and fire control tower.
The battery was designed to defend against fast enemy Motor Torpedo Boats (MTBs) and E-boats which could dash into harbors, shoot up shipping and exit at incredible speeds. In the semi-automatic mode, the twin 6-pounders could deliver 72 rounds per minute even though the rounds were hand loaded from trays of shells.
"In operation the line layer would lay the vertical crosswire of his telescope on the bow of the target, the elevation layer would lay the cross-wires of his telescope on the waterline of the target, they would then shout on ‘target’. The order would then be given to open fire and the loaders would smack the firing levers on the breeches. After firing they would immediately load another round and fire again, this would be continuous until the order to cease fire was given. Rounds would be supplied to the loaders from trays on the mounting; these in turn would be replenished from trolleys that ran around the rear of the gun emplacement. With such a drill a high rate of fire could be obtained 72 rounds per minute being the norm, it is not surprising therefore that the gunners knew this as ‘hosepipe’ fire."
Part of Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site of Canada in British Columbia, Canada. Battery Belmont is thought to have the only remaining twin 6-pounder duplex gun on display and also has one of the old 12-pounder guns that preceded the twin 6-pounder guns. Both of these guns are displayed on their mounts.
Visited: 22 Jun 2009