Battery Carroll (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War gun battery established in 1861 in Southeast Washington DC. Named after Major General Samuel S. Carroll, (Cullum 1754) as was the nearby Fort Carroll. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Carroll
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an outworks gun battery of Fort Carroll (3) with emplacements for four guns. Not normally armed meant to be armed, if needed, by field pieces.
The Battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers.
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 134.