Battery Clark (1899-1942) - Battery Clark was built at Fort Stevens between Aug 1897 and Nov 1898 and was transferred for service 17 Jan 1899. Battery Clark was named for Capt. William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Battery Clark History
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Columbia.
A concrete Endicott Period mortar battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River. Originally armed with eight, 12" M1890MI mortars on M1896MI carriages, four in each of two mortar pits. Four of the mortars were removed (two from each pit) to Battery Guenther at Fort Canby on the other side of the Columbia River when it became apparent that firing four mortars in a single pit was difficult and dangerous. Each pair of mortars required about 30 men to operate and space was limited in the mortar pits. In 1917 the four mortars were removed and shipped to Battery Guenther. The result of the redistribution was better coverage of the mouth of the Columbia and more efficient operation and about the same rate of fire.
Battery Clark is in good condition and open to the public. All of the mortars and carriages are missing.
Battery Clark Picture Gallery