|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Cross (1902-1920) - Battery Cross was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 5 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Rodman, Bristol County, Massachusetts. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 25 May 1903, after Captain Charles E. Cross, U.S. Engineers, Bvt. Colonel, U.S. Army, who was killed 5 Jun 1863, at the Battle of Fredericksburg during the U.S. Civil War. Battery construction was completed and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 13 Dec 1902 at a cost of $ 11,611.00. Deactivated in 1920.
Part of the Harbor Defense of New Bedford.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 5" M1900 guns mounted on M1903 Barbette carriages. This was a two story battery with the guns located on the upper level and the magazines below. Shells were moved from the magazine level to the gun loading platform by hand No shell or powder hoists were provided.
|?||5" Rifle||258.5"||M1900||16||Watervliet||Barbette, M1903, #3, Watervliet||1902-1920||See note 1|
|?||5" Rifle||258.5"||M1900||17||Watervliet||Barbette, M1903, #3, Watervliet||1902-1920||See note 1|
|Source: Coastal Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 90-91, 204|
Note 1: Guns & Carriages removed to A.T.S. Kilpatrick and returned 15 Mar 1919, guns to Watervliet 10 Jan 1921, carriages scrapped 13 Dec 1920. CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The guns of Battery Cross were listed as removed for service abroad on 18 Jul 1918 and it appears that the guns were actually removed sometime in 1917 and installed on the Army Transport Ship Kilpatrick. This transport ship was used to transport troops from Boston to Europe. The gun cards also show that the guns were transferred back to Fort Rodman after the war on 15 Mar 1919. On 13 Dec 1920 the carriages were ordered scrapped and on 10 Jan 1921 the guns were transferred to the Watervliet Arsenal.
No period guns or mounts in place.
Location: Fort Rodman, Bristol County, Massachusetts
Maps & Images Lat: 41.593096 Long: -70.903782
Battery Cross Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!