Battery Decatur (1893-1918) - Battery Decatur was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period gun battery located on Fort Washington (1), Maryland. The Battery was named for Commodore Stephen N. Decatur in 1900, originally called Battery B. Battery construction started 1893, was halted and then resumed in Jun 1897. The Battery was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 6 Jul 1899 at a total cost of $128,492. Guns were mounted in 1897. Deactivated in 1918.
Battery Decatur History
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Potomac.
Battery Decatur was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period gun battery with two, 10" BLR M1888 guns mounted on a M1894 disappearing carriages. Construction probably started in 1892 or 1893 but was halted pending the development of what became the M1894 disappearing carriage. Work resumed in 1896 or 1897 and the Battery was accepted for use 6 Jul 1899.
The Battery seems to have been deactivated sometime in 1918. The two guns were removed and sent to Fort Moultrie in March of 1919. The carriages were scrapped in 1920.
On Fort Washington National Park, no period guns or carriages in place.
Visited: 4 Apr 2009
Battery Decatur Picture Gallery