Battery Dyer (1908-1917) - Battery Dyer was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Wool (1), Virginia. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Bvt. MG Alexander B. Dyer, U.S. Army (BG, Chief of Ordnance, U.S. Army), who served with distinction during the Mexican-American War and the U.S. Civil War, and who died 20 May 1874. Battery construction started 10 Dec 1903, was completed in August 1908, and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 18 Aug 1908 at a cost of $ 55,000.00. Deactivated in 1917.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Chesapeake Bay.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1903 guns mounted on M1903 disappearing carriages. Battery Dyer was a two-story battery with the guns on the upper level and a common shell and magazine room on the lower level. Electrical power was furnished by a power room located in the traverse between Battery Claiborne and Battery Dyer. No powder or shell hoists were provided.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The guns of Battery Dyer were ordered dismounted for use abroad on 24 Aug 1917 and were transferred to Watervliet on 27 Nov 1917. The gun tubes eventually made their way to France and they were returned to the U.S. after the war. Battery Dyer was not rearmed. The carriages were ordered scrapped 26 May 1920.
A concrete BC and C.R.F. station was built on top of Battery Dyer in 1921 and transferred for service 6 Dec 1921 at a cost of $ 3,043.98.
No period guns or mounts in place. Now sealed and covered with sand.
Visited: 23 Jun 2010