Battery Engle (2)
Battery Engle (2) (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1863 in present day Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Engle
Battery Engle was one of 20 named Union fortifications surrounding Knoxville, Tennessee (8 Forts and 12 Batteries) during the U.S. Civil War. This ring of defenses was established late in 1863 to counter a Confederate threat to the city. Confederate forces attempted to capture the city in November-December 1863 and laid siege to the city. Large losses were sustained by Confederate forces attempting to take Fort Sanders and the Confederates withdrew, lifting the siege.
The Battery was hastily established in 1863 to counter the Confederate threat to the city. Located near Battery Clifton Lee. Configured for eight gun platforms.
Battery Engle was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains and no marker.