Battery Fearns (1863-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Battery first established in 1863 in present day Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Named Battery Fearns in G.O. 37, 11 Dec 1863 (Army of the Ohio), after Lieutenant Charles W. Fearns, Adjutant 45th Ohio Mounted Infantry, who was killed in action at Fort Sanders on 18 Nov 1963. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war. Also known as Fort Fearns.
History of Battery Fearns
Battery Fearns was one of 20 named Union fortifications surrounding Knoxville, Tennessee (8 Forts and 12 Batteries) during the U.S. Civil War. This ring of defenses was established late in 1863 to counter a Confederate threat to the city. Confederate forces attempted to capture the city in November-December 1863 and laid siege to the city. Large losses were sustained by Confederate forces attempting to take Fort Sanders and the Confederates withdrew, lifting the siege.
The Battery was hastily established in 1863 to counter the Confederate threat to the city. Located on Flint Hill. Configured for 29 gun platforms and included a large well ventilated magazine.
Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.