|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Floyd (1906-1917) - Battery Floyd was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Terry, Plum Island, Suffolk County, New York. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after 2nd Lt. Robert Floyd, 3rd U.S. Artillery, who died 23 Sep 1863, of wounds received in action at Chickamauga, Georgia, 19 Sep 1863, during the U.S. Civil War. Battery construction started in December 1903, was completed in October 1906 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 22 Nov 1906 at a cost of $ 51,626.00. Deactivated in 1917.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Long Island Sound.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1903 guns mounted on M1903 Disappearing carriages. This was a single story battery with the guns and magazines on the same level. Shells were moved from the magazine to the gun loading platform by hand. No projectile or powder hoists were provided. Electrical power was furnished by the Quartermaster post power plant.
In 1914 a C.R.F., BC station and plotting room were built into the traverse of Battery Floyd. The 9' C.R.F. and BC station was built on top of the traverse and a 20' x 10' plotting room was built into an existing room below. The facility was accepted for service on 20 Mar 1914 at a cost of $ 1,202.72.
|1||6" Rifle||302.9"||M1903||36||Watervliet||Disappearing, M1903, #42, Wellman||1906-1917||See note 1|
|2||6" Rifle||302.9"||M1903||46||Watervliet||Disappearing, M1903, #41, Wellman||1906-1917||See note 1|
|Source: RCW Form 1, 1 Nov 1926, RCB, 31 Dec 1910, Coastal Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 98-99, 206|
Note 1: Guns transferred to Watervliet 19 Nov 1917, carriages ordered scrapped 26 May 1920.CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The guns of Battery Floyd were ordered dismounted for service overseas on 24 Aug 1917. They were transferred on 19 Nov 1917 to Watervliet arsenal and eventually found their way to France. The carriages were ordered scrapped 26 May 1920. Battery Floyd was not rearmed.
Now on Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) operated by U.S. DHS. No period guns or mounts in place.
Location: Plum Island, Suffolk County, New York
Maps & Images Lat: 41.168031 Long: -72.197327
- U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project of Long Island Sound, (HDLIS-AN-45), 15 Feb 1945, CDSG
Battery Floyd Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!