Battery Garesche (2)
Battery Garesche (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery first established in 1861 in Arlington County, Virginia. Named Battery Garesche in G.O. 83, 1 Apr 1863, after Lt. Colonel Julius P. Garesche, assistant adjutant general, U.S. Army, who was killed 31 Dec 1862, at the battle of Stone River, Tennessee. The Battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war. Also known as Fort Garesche (1).
History of Battery Garesche
Battery Garesche was also one of 33 forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that made up an outer defense line for Washington DC known as the Arlington Line.
Established in late 1861 as an unnamed battery with a perimeter of 166 yards and emplacements for 8 guns.
A 17 May 1864 report the following: "Fort Garesché, Lieutenant Logan commanding.–Garrison, one company First Connecticut Heavy Artillery– 4 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 144 men. Armament, two 32-pounder field howitzers (smooth), five 24-pounder Parrotts, two 8-inch seacoast howitzers, two 24-pounder Coehorn mortars. Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, ordinary: Discipline, fair. Garrison of sufficient strength."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, marker only. Fort site was located at the east corner of 30th Road and South Abingdon Street in Arlington County, Virginia.