Battery Grattan (1907-1917)(1942-1945) - Battery Grattan is a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 6 inch gun battery on Fort Flagler, Washington. Named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Bvt. 2nd Lt. John Lawrence Grattan, 6th U.S. Infantry, who served in the American Frontier at Fort Laramie, and was killed on 19 Aug 1854 in what became known as the “Grattan Massacre”. Battery construction started in 1904, was completed in 1906, and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use on 23 Apr 1907 at a cost of $ 48,000. Deactivated in 1917.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1903 guns mounted on M1903 disappearing carriages. This is a two-story battery with the guns on the upper level and the magazines in an earth-covered structure on the lower level between the two guns. The common magazine consists of a shell room and a powder room that serve both gun positions. No shell or powder hoists are provided. Electrical power was provided from the central power plant and commercial power.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The gun tubes of Battery Grattan were transferred to Watervliet 31 Dec 1917 for modification and shipment overseas. Both gun tubes made it to France just as the war ended and were later returned to the U.S. but not to Battery Grattan. The disappearing carriages were ordered scrapped in place on 26 May 1920.
The battery was transferred to U.S. Navy on 1 Sept. 1942 for Underwater Listening Post. The North entrance was closed off and converted to latrine and storage.
A part of Fort Flagler State Park, Jefferson County, Washington. The Battery is accessible to the public and the rooms are clean and dry. A few cabinet fixtures remain and walls are still lined with sound-deadening material. No guns or carriages are in place.
Visited: 21 Sept 2009