Battery Harker (2)
Battery Harker (2) (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery first established in 1863 in present day Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Harker
Battery Harker was one of 20 named Union fortifications surrounding Knoxville, Tennessee (8 Forts and 12 Batteries) during the U.S. Civil War. This ring of defenses was established late in 1863 to counter a Confederate threat to the city. Confederate forces attempted to capture the city in November-December 1863 and laid siege to the city. Large losses were sustained by Confederate forces attempting to take Fort Sanders and the Confederates withdrew, lifting the siege.
Battery Harker was hastily established in 1863 to counter the Confederate threat to the city. Located between Battery Noble and the Holston River. This battery was never finished, originally intended for five guns.
Battery Harker was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.