Battery Harvey Allen
Battery Harvey Allen (1906-1945) - Battery Harvey Allen was built at Fort Canby between Aug 1904 and Dec 1905 at a cost of $58,935 and was transferred to the Army 27 Feb 1906. Named after Lt. Col. Harvey A. Allen, 2nd U.S. Artillery, veteran of the U.S. Civil War and the Mexican War, who died 20 Sep 1882. Removed from service 21 May 1945.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
The original guns were removed in 1918 and shipped overseas but the carriages remained. Two of the guns were replaced in 1918 with guns from Battery O'Flyng and place on the original carriages. Carriage #88 was sold and removed.
World War II (1941-1945)
The Battery was removed from service 21 May 1945.
Battery Allen is located in Cape Disappointment State Park near Ilwaco, Pacific County, Washington. A Lewis & Clark interpretive center has been built on the front of the battery but all of the gun mounts and the shell & powder rooms are open to the public and in reasonable condition. The shell & powder room between guns 1 & 2 contains several interpretive signs as does a small kiosk at the entrance. Follow the signs to the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center and you can't miss the Battery. A short climb from the parking lot to the battery above. Disabled access available via a road that goes right up to the interpretive center but parking is limited at the top and at the main lot below.
Visited: 16 Feb 2008