Battery House (2)
Battery House (2) (1942-1947) - Battery House (2) was a reinforced concrete, World War II Washington County inch coastal gun battery on Fort Varnum, Washington County, Rhode Island. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Bvt. BG James House, U.S. Army (Col. 1st U.S. Artillery), who served from 1799 to 1834, and who died 17 Nov 1834. Battery construction started 18 Apr 1942, was completed 15 Sep 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 29 Aug 1942 at a cost of $ 53,955.00. Deactivated in 1947.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1900 guns mounted on M1900 carriages. The guns and carriages were transferred from Fort Getty, Battery House (1) in 1942 and the battery name came with them. The battery consisted of two exposed concrete gun mounts and an earth covered concrete magazine with a C.R.F. fire control station built into it. Declared excess 30 Apr 1947.
No period guns or mounts in place. Magazine and concrete gun platforms still exist.