|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Irons (1900-1913) - Battery Irons was a concrete Endicott Period 4.7" gun battery located on Fort Armistead, Maryland. Battery construction started 2 Apr 1898, was completed in July 1898 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 5 Jan 1900 at a total cost of $10,616.08. The Battery was named inG.O. 78, 15 May 1903, for 1st Lt. Joseph F. Irons, 1st U.S. Artillery, who died 26 Aug 1847, of wounds received at the battle of Churubusco, Mexico, while reconnoitering the Tete-du-Pont Battery, during the Mexican-American War. Deactivated in 1913.
Battery Irons History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Baltimore.
Battery Irons was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 4.7" Armstrong gun battery with two British Armstrong guns mounted on Armstrong Barbette Carriages. The carriages arrived at Fort Armistead on 12 Aug 1898 and presumably the gun tubes arrived with them. The guns and the carriages were removed and shipped to Fort Ruger in the Hawaiian Islands on 24 Jul 1913.
|1||4.72" Rifle||218.4"||Armstrong||11001||Armstrong||Pedestal Mount, #11016, Armstrong||1900-1913||See Note 1|
|2||4.72" Rifle||218.4"||Armstrong||11005||Armstrong||Pedestal Mount, #11015, Armstrong||1900-1913||See Note 1|
|Source: CDSG, RCW Form 1, 1 Jan 1920, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 86, 209|
Note 1: Guns and carriages removed and shipped 24 Jul 1913 to Fort Ruger, CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
On Fort Armistead Baltimore City Park. No period guns or carriages are in place. The Battery is covered with graffitti and a bit overgrown.
Location: Fort Armistead, Maryland.
Maps & Images Lat: 39.208494 Long: -76.533921
Visited: 2 Apr 2009
Battery Irons Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!