Battery JAAN 1 - Cabrillo Beach
Battery JAAN 1 - Cabrillo Beach (1942-1946) - Battery JAAN 1 - Cabrillo Beach was a reinforced concrete World War II 3" gun battery operated as a sub-post of Fort MacArthur, Los Angeles County, California. The Battery was named JAAN because it was jointly manned by Army and Navy personnel, Joint Army And Navy. Battery construction started 6 Jul 1942, was completed 11 Jan 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 12 Apr 1943 at a total cost of $8,040. Deactivated in 1946.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
Battery JAAN 1 - Cabrillo Beach was a World War II gun battery with two M1903, 3" guns mounted on M1903 Pedestal Mounts with a modified shield. The three inch guns were originally emplaced in Battery Lodor and removed when harbor construction dictated the removal of Dead Man's Island and Battery Lodor from Los Angeles Harbor.
No gun or mounts in place. One concrete emplacement remains.
Visited: 4 Jan 2013