Battery Kellogg (1896-1942) - Battery Sanford Kellogg was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 12 inch coastal mortar battery on Fort Banks (2), Suffolk County, Massachusetts. The battery was named in G.O. 20, 25 Jan 1906 after Brevet Colonel Sanford C. Kellogg, U.S. Volunteers (Major, 4th U.S. Cavalry), who served with distinction during the U.S. Civil War, and who died 7 Feb 1904. Battery construction started in 1892, was completed in 1896 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 2 Sep 1896 at a cost of $ 78,394.86 (half of total cost of Battery Lincoln & Battery Kellogg). Deactivated in 1942.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Boston, Massachusetts.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal mortar battery with eight 12" M1886 mortars mounted on M1891 mortar carriages. This was a single level mortar battery with the magazines on the same level as the mortar loading platforms. Shells and powder are wheeled from the magazines to the mortars on shot carts. No shell or powder hoists were provided. Electricity was furnished by an emplacement power plant in Battery Lincoln.
This battery was originally constructed with Rosendale cement and was expanded and reconstructed using Portland cement in 1912-1913. Cost of the rebuild was $ 111,210. All of the mortars and carriages were transferred to Watertown, on 8 Sep 1915. Fort Washington (1), Battery Meigs, transferred a new set of mortars to Battery Kellogg.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. Two 12" mortars were ordered dismounted and prepared for shipment on 3 May 1918. They were transferred to Morgan on 13 May 1918 leaving six mortars in the battery.
The six remaining 12" mortars of Battery Kellogg were obsolete at the beginning of the war and they were ordered scrapped 15 Dec 1942.
Partially destroyed and on private property. One mortar pit remains exposed but the central structure and mortar pit "A" are buried. No period guns or mounts in place. No public access.
Visited: 10 Jun 2012