Battery Kingman (1921-1946) - Battery Kingman was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 12 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Hancock (2), New Jersey. The battery was named after BG Dan C. Kingman, Chief of Army Engineers, who died in November 1916. Battery construction started in March 1917, was completed on 2 Apr 1921 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 2 Apr 1921 at a cost of $ 297,933.04. Deactivated in 1946.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Southern New York.
Originally built as a World War I concrete coastal gun battery with two 12" M1895MI guns mounted on M1917 carriages. This was a single story battery with the guns located on open concrete gun pads on the same level as the common magazine and support structure between them. The common magazine and support structure was an earth covered reinforced concrete building that contained shell rooms, powder rooms, a power plant, plotting rooms and personnel facilities. Shells were moved from the magazine to the gun loading platform by shot carts. No shell or powder hoists were provided or needed.
The two guns were mounted on circular concrete pads with sunken gun pits. The guns and gun crews were completely in the open with no protection from incoming fire or from aircraft. The M1917 carriage and the sunken gun pit allowed a gun elevation of 35 degrees, giving the gun a range of over 16 miles. This battery and sister battery, Battery Mills, were located on the bay side of Sandy Hook at Horseshoe Cove and covered 360 degrees.
In 1942-43 the gun emplacements were casemated and connected to the original magazine structure by concrete corridors. The casemates and magazine complex were covered with sand and soil. The casemate construction and the upgraded magazine project was completed in 1943 at a cost of $ 623,818.80.
Part of the Gateway National Recreation Area, Fort Hancock Unit. No period guns or mounts in place. Public access to the casemates but not to the interior on the magazine complex.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 14 Aug 2010