Battery Madison (1)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Madison (1) (1899-1904) - Battery Madison (1) was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 4.72 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Caswell, Brunswick County, North Carolina. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 25 May 1903 after Surgeon William T. Madison, 3rd U.S. Infantry, killed in action with Indians near Fort Howard (2), Wisconsin, 14 May 1821. Battery was transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 22 May 1899 at a cost of $ 6,510.28. Deactivated in 1904.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Cape Fear River.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with one 4.72" Armstrong gun mounted on an Armstrong pedestal carriage. This battery was a part of Battery Caswell located on the right flank and it was considered part of Battery Caswell until it was separately named in 1903. The gun was dismounted in 1904 and shipped to Battery Backus, Fort Screven and the Battery was deactivated. The name was transferred to a new 6" gun battery.
|1||4.72" Rifle||218.4"||Armstrong||11858||Armstrong||Pedestal, Armstrong,
|1899-1904||See note 1|
|Source: RCB 10 Oct 1903, CDSG, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 86-87, 210|
On the property of the North Carolina Baptist Assembly. No period guns or mounts in place.
Location: Fort Caswell, Brunswick County, North Carolina
Maps & Images Lat: 33.892518 Long: -78.017027
- Herring, Ethel and Williams, Carolee, Fort Caswell in War and Peace, 2nd Ed., NC Baptist Assembly, Oak Island, NC, 1983-1999, ISBN - 0-9671897-1-3
Visited: 27 Jan 2010
Battery Madison (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!