Battery McDonough (1)
Battery McDonough (1) (1903-1905) - Battery McDonough (1) was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 5 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Caswell, Brunswick County, North Carolina. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 25 May 1903, after 1st Lt. Patrick McDonough, Corps of Artillery, who was killed at the battle of Fort Erie, Canada, 15 Aug 1814. Battery construction started in 1901, was completed in 1901 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 14 Apr 1903 at a cost of $ 187.79. Deactivated in 1905.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Cape Fear River.
Originally built into Battery Swift as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with one 5" M1897 gun mounted on an M1896 carriage. This Battery was built between emplacements 1 and 2 of Battery Swift and shared facilities with that battery. Within a year of its acceptance, it was decided to move the battery to the existing Battery Shipp which also had a single 5" M1897 gun mounted on an M1896 carriage. The move was accomplished in 1905.
On the property of the North Carolina Baptist Assembly. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 27 Jan 2010