Battery Mitchell (3)
Battery Mitchell (3) (1863-1866) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1863 as a part of Fortress Rosecrans in present day Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee. Named Battery Mitchell after Brigadier General Robert B. Mitchell. The Battery was abandoned in 1866 after the end of the war when Fortress Rosecrans was abandoned.
History of Battery Mitchell
After the Union army occupied Murfreesboro, Tennessee in January 1863, Major General William S. Rosecrans, (Cullum 1115), Commander of the Army of the Cumberland, gave his chief engineer Brigadier General USV James St. Clair Morton, (Cullum 1495), the job of designing and constructing what became Fortress Rosecrans. Morton planned a large enclosed fortification of over 200 acres that occupied both the north and south sides of the Stones River at Murfreesboro and included an important road junction and a rail line.
Battery Mitchell (3) and the other Batterys at Fortress Rosecrans were lightly armed earthworks along the outer perimeter providing strong points along a line of rifle trenches that connected them. Each Battery was served by batteries of three to nine guns under the command of a commissioned officer with 60 to 100 enlisted men present.
An inspection report dated 14 Jan 1864 indicated that the battery at Battery Mitchell was under the command of Lieutenant Irwin, 1st Kentucky Battery, and was armed with one 12 pounder and one 6 pounder field gun, and two 8" siege howitzers.
Battery Mitchell was abandoned in 1866 after the end of the war when Fortress Rosecrans was abandoned.