Battery North (1)
Battery North (1) (1900-1917) - Battery North was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 10‑inch coastal gun battery on Fort Michie, Suffolk County, New York. The battery was named in G.O. 30, 19 Mar 1902, after BG William North, Adjutant General, U.S. Army, who served as an aid-de-camp to General Baron de Steuben during the Revolutionary War, and who died on 4 Jan 1836. The battery was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 12 May 1900 at a cost of $ 100,000.00. Deactivated in 1917.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Long Island Sound.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 10" M1888MII guns mounted on M1896 Disappearing carriages. this is a two story battery with the guns located on the upper level and the magazines on the lower level. Two Taylor-Raymond electric shell hoists moved the shells from the magazine level to the gun loading platform. These hoists were accepted for service on 8 Mar 1905. Two electric type "C" powder hoists were provided to move the powder bags from the magazine level to the gun loading platform. The powder hoists were accepted for service 27 Apr 1912.
Electrical power was furnished by an emplacement power plant installed on the south side of the middle traverse of Battery North.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The two 10" guns of Battery North were ordered dismounted on 24 Aug 1917 for service abroad. The gun were briefly ordered remounted but that order was countermanded on 15 Oct 1919 with an order to dismount and store the guns to make way for the construction of Battery Davis (3). Battery Davis was built over Battery North destroying it in the process.
Destroyed by the construction of Battery Davis (3).