Battery Powell (2)
Battery Powell (2) (1862-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1862 in Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi. Named Battery Powell after Union Major Albert M. Powell, 1st Missouri Light Artillery, chief of Artillery in the Union Army of the Mississippi. Abandoned in 1865. Also known as Fort Powell.
Established in the summer of 1862 on the Union inner line of defense of Corinth, Mississippi after the Union capture of Corinth.
Battery Powell was located several hundred yards northeast of the strategic crossroads of the Mobile and Ohio and the Memphis and Charleston Railroads. Battery Powell was a 4 gun artillery redoubt manned by Company K, 1st Missouri Light Artillery. The battery was the scene of heavy fighting on 4 Oct 1862 and was captured and temporarily occupied briefly by the Confederates before being retaken by Union troops.
Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
Visited: 14 Sep 2020