Battery Rawlins (1902-1918)(1942-1946) - Battery John Rawlins was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 10 inch gun battery on Fort Flagler, Washington. The battery was named after Bvt. Maj. Gen John A. Rawlins, U.S. Civil War veteran and Secretary of War. Battery construction started in 1897, was completed in 1899 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 17 Aug 1902 at a cost of $ 60,000. Deactivated in 1918. Reactivated in 1942 when a AA battery was relocated into Battery Rawlins, deactivated at the end of World War II.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound.
Battery Rawlins, Battery Revere and Battery Wilhelm were built starting in 1897 and completed 1899 as a single large unnamed battery with four 10" and two 12" rifles, all Barbette mounted. The large Battery was initially named Battery Wilhelm in 1902 when it was accepted for service and administrative separated into three batteries in 1906. The part that became Battery Rawlins was originally armed with two 10" M1888MII rifles mounted on M1893 Barbette carriages. The part that became Battery Revere was armed similarly to Battery Rawlins. Battery Wilhelm became the middle battery armed with two 12" M1888MII rifles mounted on M1897 Altered Gun Lift Carriages.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. Both M1888MII guns were withdrawn in 1918 in anticipation of being shipped to the European front but they were held at the Watervliet Arsenal after being modified to the A1 configuration because it became clear that the war was almost over. Both M1888MIIA1 guns were eventually salvaged (#35 in 1931, #28 in 1942). The M1893 Barbette carriages were both scrapped 26 May 1920.
In 1942 the decision was made to move Anti-Aircraft Battery #2 (AA #2) from the southern perimeter of Fort Flagler to Battery Rawlins. The AA #2 battery had three M1917M1A2, 3" guns mounted on AA M1917M2 carriages. Among the modifications made to Battery Rawlins to convert it for AA use was a filling in of the two deep 10" gun pits with earth, the addition of a third emplacement in front of the existing two, the modification of the observation post to an AA Director Station and three new concrete emplacements for the AA guns. The new gun emplacement became emplacement #2 and the existing emplacement #2 became emplacement #3.
A part of Fort Flagler State Park, Jefferson County, Washington. No guns or mounts in place. No gun or mounts in place.
Battery Rawlins Picture Gallery