Battery Read (1899-1918) - Battery Read was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 12 inch coastal gun battery on Fort DuPont (1), Delaware. The battery was named in G.O. 16, 14 feb 1902, after George Read, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, U.S. Senator, and Chief Justice of the State of Delaware. Battery construction started 1 May 1898, was completed 31 Dec 1898 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 12 Jan 1899 at a cost of $ 80,829.68. Deactivated in 1918.
Battery Read History
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Delaware.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 12" M1888MI1/2 guns mounted on M1892 Barbette carriages. Battery Gibson and Battery Read were built as one large four emplacement battery with the two 12" guns of Battery Read placed in the left most and right most emplacements and the two 8" guns of Battery Gibson placed in the two center emplacements.
No period guns or mounts in place.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 6 Aug 2010