Battery Ridgely (1899-1913) - Battery Ridgely was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 4.72 inch coastal gun battery on Fort St. Philip, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 25 May 1903, after 1st Lt. Henderson Ridgely, 4th U.S. Infantry, who was killed 24 Nov 1847, in action at Guaiaxara Pass, Mexico. Battery construction started 23 May 1898, was completed in Oct 1898 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 25 Oct 1899 at a cost of $ 7,000.00. Deactivated in 1913.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Mississippi.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 4.72" Armstrong guns mounted on Armstrong pedestal mounts. This was a single story battery with the guns located on the same level as the magazines. Shells were moved from the magazine level to the gun loading platform by hand. No shell or powder hoists were provided. Electrical power was furnished by the central power plant.
Both of the guns and carriages were removed and shipped to Fort Ruger in Hawaii, 24 Jul 1913.
The magazines were later converted into a Post Telephone and Fire Control switchboard.
Private property, access by boat with permission, in very dangerous condition. No period guns or mounts in place.