Battery Rossell (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1861 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Battery Rossell in G.O. 83, 1 Apr 1863, after Major Nathan B. Rossell, 3rd U.S. Infantry, who was killed 27 Jun 1862, at the battle of Gaines' Mill, Virginia. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Rossell
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an enclosed work with a magazine, occupied an important position on the right of Fort Reno, recommended to be armed with two field howitzers, 24 or 32 pounders, and four 12 pounder field guns.
The battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531010
Location: Fessenden Street and Connecticut Ave in Northwest Washington DC. Map point is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.95457 Long: -77.06956
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 138.