Battery Saxton (2)
Battery Saxton (2) (1862-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1862 in Beaufort, Beaufort County, South Carolina. Named Battery Saxton after Brigadier General Rufus Saxton, (Cullum 1424), a 1849 West Point graduate and Medal of Honor recipient in 1893 for actions at Harper's Ferry in 1862. Battery abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
Battery Saxton was a U.S. Civil War Union gun battery constructed along Battery Creek in Beaufort, South Carolina in 1862. It was one of two batteries that anchored a line that ran from Battery Creek to the Beaufort River.
The battery was built by Union troops occupying Beaufort, the 1st New York Volunteer Engineers, and black laborers. Armament included three 8-inch siege howitzers.
Removed at the end of the war in 1865.
Marker only. Some remains of the earthworks may be present but they are not obvious.
Visited: 7 Mar 2018