|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Sedgwick (1901-1942) - Battery Sedgwick was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 12 inch coastal mortar battery on Fort Greble (2), Newport County, Rhode Island. The battery was named in G.O. 43, 4 Apr 1900 after Major General John Sedgwick, U.S. Volunteers, a distinguished soldier of the Mexican-American War and the U.S. Civil War, who was killed at the Battle of Spottsylvania, 9 May 1864. Battery construction started in September 1898, was completed in November 1900 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 23 Jan 1901 at a cost of $ 140,837.27. Deactivated in 1942.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal mortar battery with eight 12" M1890MI mortars mounted on M1896MI mortar carriages. This was a single level battery with two mortar pits each having four mortars. The magazines were located in concrete shelters adjacent to the mortar pits and under an earth covering. The mortar shells and powder were wheeled out to the loading platform on shot carts. Electrical power was furnished by an internal emplacement power plant.
|A1||12" Mortar||141.125"||M1890MI||55||Builders||Mortar, M1896MI, #178, Lake Erie||1901-1942||See note 1|
|A2||12" Mortar||141.125"||M1890MI||91||Watervliet||Mortar, M1896MI, #176, Lake Erie||1901-1918||See note 2|
|A3||12" Mortar||141.125"||M1890MI||68||Watervliet||Mortar, M1896MI, #177, Lake Erie||1901-1942||See note 1|
|A4||12" Mortar||141.125"||M1890MI||88||Watervliet||Mortar, M1896MI, #196, Columbus||1901-1918||See note 2|
|B1||12" Mortar||141.125"||M1890MI||97||Watervliet||Mortar, M1896MI, #180, Lake Erie||1901-1942||See note 1|
|B2||12" Mortar||141.125"||M1890MI||69||Watervliet||Mortar, M1896MI, #181, Lake Erie||1901-1918||See note 2|
|B3||12" Mortar||141.125"||M1890MI||66||Watervliet||Mortar, M1896MI, #182, Lake Erie||1901-1942||See note 1|
|B4||12" Mortar||141.125"||M1890MI||99||Watervliet||Mortar, M1896MI, #179, Lake Erie||1901-1918||See note 2|
|Source: RCW Form 1, 1 Nov 1927, Coastal Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 140-143,205|
Note 1: Guns and carriages scrapped 1942. CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
Note 2: Mortars transferred to Morgan 4 Jun 1918, carriages scrapped. CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. On 3 May 1918 four mortars were ordered dismounted and prepared for shipment. The mortars were turned over to the quartermaster for shipment on 4 Jun 1918 and shipped to Morgan.
The four remaining mortars and carriages were ordered scrapped in 1942 during the first large scale scrap drive of World War II.
Part of Dutch Island State Wildlife Management Area Park, Dutch Island, Newport County, Rhode Island. No period guns or mounts in place.
Location: Dutch Island State Wildlife Management Area Park, Dutch Island, Newport County, Rhode Island.
Maps & Images Lat: 41.505556 Long: -71.399921
- U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project of Narragansett Bay, (HDNARB-AP-45), 1 Feb 1945, CDSG
Battery Sedgwick Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!