Bogue Sound Blockhouse
Bogue Sound Blockhouse (1862-1864) - A U.S. Army U.S. Civil War post established in the summer of 1862 by Union forces in Carteret County, North Carolina. Captured and destroyed by Confederate forces in February 1864.
Built in the summer of 1862 by Company K, 9th New Jersey Volunteers to guard the intersection of the Bogue Sound Road and the Newport Road in Carteret County, North Carolina. The three story log blockhouse was surrounded by a ditch and earthworks for protection and armed with a single howitzer.
On 2 Feb 1864 elements of a Confederate force under General James G. Martin attacked the blockhouse on their way to recapture New Bern from the Federals. The inexperienced Union garrison at the blockhouse retreated and the Confederate force captured the blockhouse and burned it down. The Confederate force went on to capture Newport Barracks (1) that same day.
Marker only, inside the east entrance to Gethsemane Memorial Gardens cemetery Carteret County, North Carolina. The blockhouse site is across Mcabe Road inside a subdivision. The earthworks were still visible as late as the 1990s when they were overbuilt by the subdivision construction.
Visited: 19 Mar 2012