Cabot Blockhouse (1779-1782) - A Revolutionary War Fort established in 1779 near Cabot, Washington County, Vermont. Abandoned in 1782.
Established in 1779 as a blockhouse built by Continental troops under General Moses Hazen to protect a new military road built between Newbury and Lowell. At the trailhead of the Hazen Road near Cabot, the blockhouse was built on a site called Fortification Hill.
The road was never finished past Hazen's Notch, but the blockhouse was garrisoned by militia until the end of the war.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1782.
The site of Hazen’s Cabot encampment and blockhouse, once known as “Fortification Hill,” is now marked by a memorial stone east of the Cabot Plain Cemetery. A small granite marker engraved, "Gen. Hazen Camp," is in the woods there. It is private land and access is by permission.