Camp Alvord (1864 - 1866) - Established 1864 by Captain George B. Curry and troops of the 1st Oregon Volunteer Cavalry in Harney County, Oregon. Named after Brigadier General Benjamin Alvord (Cullum 728). Abandoned 25 May 1866.
Camp Alvord History
The post was abandoned in September 1864 and reestablished by Captain F.B. Sprague and Captain Borland 5 Sep 1865. The camp was again abandoned 25 May 1866 and the troops moved to nearby Camp C.F. Smith.
Location: Near Andrews in Harney County, Oregon
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.4769444 Long: -118.5883333
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 4,167'
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, Page 141
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 661