Camp Atchison (1863-1863) - A temporary U.S. Army camp established in 1863 during the Sibley Campaign by General Henry Hastings Sibley in Griggs County, North Dakota. Named for Captain Charles Atchison, the command’s Ordnance and Assistant Commissary Officer. The camp was created to hold General Sibley's command while he took a mobile force to force hostile Sioux Indians across the Missouri River. Abandoned in 1863 when General Sibley returned a month later.
A temporary U.S. Army camp established 18 Jul 1863 during the Sibley Campaign by General Henry Hastings Sibley. Camp Atchison was created to hold and protect General Sibley's command while he took a mobile force to force the hostile Sioux Indians back across the Missouri River. General Sibley left behind his baggage train, wounded soldiers, tired horses and anything else that would slow him down. He left two companies of infantry behind and he had rifle trenches and breastworks built to protect the group.
General Sibley created many camps across North Dakota during his campaign but Camp Atchison was the most substantial and the longest lasting. Most of the camps lasted just a couple of days.
Camp Atchison was abandoned 12 Aug 1863 when General Sibley returned from his successful mission.
Marker and some earthworks traces near Binford, Griggs County, North Dakota.
Visited: 12 Sep 2013
Camp Atchison Picture Gallery