Camp Beaty (1813-1814) - A War of 1812 and Creek Indian War Camp established in 1813 at Beaty's Spring in present-day Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama. Named Camp Beaty after Captain Robert Beaty, then owner of the property. Abandoned in 1814.
Camp Beaty, was an encampment of Andrew Jackson's army of volunteers and militia after their non-stop march from Fayetteville, Tennessee on 11 Oct 1813. The forced march was in response to a threatened attack on Huntsville by a war party of the Creek Nation and the memory of the Fort Mims massacre of some 500 people by the Red Stick faction of the Creeks on 30 Aug 1813.
The attack never came and Jackson's army, now nearly 4,000 strong, moved on to begin the Creek Indian War of 1813-1814, which was part of the War of 1812. Jackson's force of state militias, Creek and Cherokee allies defeated William Weatherford and the Red Sticks at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend (27 Mar 1814).
Camp Beaty served as a staging and supply area throughout the War with rent being paid to Captain Robert Beaty. Beaty had purchased this land from the Federal Government on 28 Aug 1809.
Marker is located on the SE Corner of Drake Ave SW and Ivey Avenue. Many sources have provided wrong intersections and wrong GPS coordinates for this marker. We visited the site and the intersection and the GPS coordinates provided here are correct.
Visited: 4 Aug 2021