Camp Cajon (1847, 1857-1858) - A Mormon Battalion Camp first established in 1847 at Cajon Pass, San Bernardino County, California. Garrisoned by U.S. troops in 1857-1858. Abandoned in 1858. Also known as Camp at Martin's Ranch.
History of Camp Cajon
Established in April 1847 by Company C of the Mormon Battalion to guard Cajon Pass. Occupied by U.S. troops 1857-1858.
Abandoned in 1858.
No remains at Cajon Pass, San Bernardino County, California.
Location: Cajon Pass, San Bernardino County, California. The site is near the McDonalds restaurant at 3230 Wagon Train Road, Phelan, CA 92371, near the intersection of I15 & Hwy 138. Map point is not accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 34.309313 Long: -117.470187
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 64
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 24