Camp Carleton (1861-1862) - A U.S. Civil War era Camp first established by Captain William A. McCleave, 1st California Volunteer Cavalry, in 1861 in San Bernardino, San Bernardino County, California. Named for General James Henry Carleton, then colonel of the 1st California Volunteer Infantry. Flooded out and abandoned in 1862.
History of Camp Carleton
A U.S. Civil War era camp established by Captain William A. McCleave, 1st California Volunteer Cavalry, one of several Union camps established to watch over Confederate sympathizers in San Bernardino County.
Abandoned for Emergency Camp in February 1862 after flooding caused the camp to be abandoned.
The post was later relocated to New Camp Carleton in El Monte near Los Angeles. New Camp Carleton closed in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains in San Bernardino, San Bernardino County, California.
Location: Some confusion exists as to the location of the site, some sources indicate the site is in the riverbed of the Santa Ana River on the northeast side of the Tippecanoe Avenue Bridge in San Bernardino. Other sources indicate that it is near the South Waterman Avenue bridge. Both locations have map points but they are approximate and not accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 34.082651 Long: -117.259156
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 64-65
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 24