Camp Castaway (1852-1852) - Established 3 Jan 1852 by Lt. H.W. Stanton, C troop of the 1st U.S. Dragoons, and the other survivors from the sinking of the transport ship Captain Lincoln. The transport sailed from San Francisco bound for Fort Orford and was wrecked just north of the entrance to Coos Bay Harbor. The camp was abandoned in May 1852 when the survivors were rescued and taken to Port Orford.
Location: Two miles north of the entrance to Coos Bay
near where the New Carissa went aground in 1999,
Coos County, Oregon.
Maps & Images
Lat: 43.381533 Long: -124.283383
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: sea level
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 143
- Bancroft, Hubert H., The Works of Hubert Howe Bancroft Volume 30:History of Oregon, Volume 2 1848-1888, The History Company, San Francisco, Copyright 1888, page 201-202