Camp Como (1942-1946) - A U.S. prisoner of war camp established in 1942 by U.S. Corps of Engineers near the town of Como in Panola County, Mississippi. Abandoned in 1946.
Camp Como was constructed in 1942-1943 by the U.S. Corps of Engineers. The post was used to house German Afrikakorps and Italian Army prisoners of war. The camp was built to house some 3900 prisoners. Prisoners began arriving in September and October of 1943. The Military Police units assigned to guard the prisoners at Camp Como were also tasked with bringing the prisoners from overseas to the camp. Racial and ethnic problems between the German and other nationalities caused the camp to be designated for German prisoners only and the other nationalities were removed.
On private property near Como in Panola County, Mississippi.
Links: Visited: No