Camp Independence (2)
Camp Independence (2) (1862-1877) - A U.S. Civil War era post first established as Camp Independence in 1862 near Independence, Inyo County, California. Established by Lt. Colonel George S. Evans, 2nd California Volunteer Cavalry. Abandoned in 1864 and reestablished in 1865. Abandoned in 1877. Also known as Fort Independence (2)
History of Camp Independence (2)
Established on 4 Jul 1862 by Lt. Colonel George S. Evans, 2nd California Volunteer Cavalry to protect settlers and miners from Indian attacks. The garrison lived in tents and local caves until post buildings were constructed. The post was abandoned in 1864 but reestablished in March 1865 when the Indian attacks resumed.
The post was described in 1870 as having buildings built of adobe, plastered and whitewashed in and out. The post had one large barracks, four set of officers quarters, a hospital and several suport buildings.
The post was abandoned in 1877.
The Commanding Officer's quarters was moved to 303 Edwards Street in Independence, Inyo County, California. Map point is the site marker location.