Camp Lejeune (1941-Present) - A U.S. Marine Corps training camp established in 1941 as Marine Barracks New River by then Lieutenant Colonel William P.T. Hill in Onslow County, North Carolina. Named in 1942 for Lieutenant General John A. Lejeune, 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps (1920-1929). Includes satellite facilities Camp Geiger, Camp Johnson, Courthouse Bay Camp, Stone Bay Camp and the Greater Sandy Run Training Area. Active military installation.
On 5 Apr 1941 Congress authorized 14 million dollars for the construction of what would become Camp Lejeune. Lieutenant Colonel William P.T. Hill was ordered to establish the post and assume command. The initial purchase of 110,000 acres of land was completed and the 1st Marine division occupied the reservation in September 1941. The post was established to provide amphibious training for troops headed to the war overseas.
The post now has 156,00 acres and 11 miles of beach for training U.S. Marines and foreign military personnel.
Active Marine Corps military installation in Onslow County, North Carolina.
Visited: 16-22 Mar 2012