Camp Lincoln (4)
Camp Lincoln (4) (1862-1869) - A U.S. Army post established in 1862 during the U.S. Civil War by Major James F. Curtis, 2nd California Volunteer Infantry, near Crescent City in Del Norte County, California. Abandoned in 1869. Also known as Long's Camp, Fort Long, Lincoln's Fort and Fort Lincoln (3).
This post was established 11 Sep 1862 by Major James F. Curtis and Company G, 2nd California Volunteer Infantry to keep the peace between the Indians and the Miners and settlers in this area. The site of Camp Lincoln was originally closer to Crescent City but was moved by Major Curtis to a site between Crescent City and the Indian Reservation along the road between them.
The post was abandoned on 11 Jun 1869.
A roadside marker and two restored buildings reportedly remain near Crescent City in Del Norte County, California. The two restored buildings are reported to be the commanding officer's quarters and a barracks.
Visited: 11 Nov 2012