Camp Lyon (1865-1869) - An Oregon Volunteer post established in 1865 during the Snake War just after the end of the U.S. Civil War. Named after General Nathaniel Lyon, (Cullum 1069). Abandoned on 27 Apr 1869. Also Known as Camp Lyons.
Camp Lyon was established by three companies of the 1st Oregon Volunteer Cavalry and a detachment of 1st Oregon Volunteer Infantry on 27 Jun 1865 during the Snake War. The post was composed of 8 simple buldings of logs with pole and dirt roofs. Abandoned on 27 Apr 1869.
Nothing remains of this once very active camp. A cabin reportedly built from timbers taken from the Camp sits on a hill overlooking the site. The site is located on private property. Some sources indicate this post was in Owyhee County, Idaho, but the USGS and topo maps indicate that the site is in Oregon, just across the border.
Visited: 19 Jul 2017