Fort McDowell (2)
Fort McDowell (2) (1865-1890) - First established as Camp Verde (2), 7 Sep 1865, by Lt Colonel Clarence E. Bennett (Cullum 1701), 1st California Cavalry. Named Camp McDowell (2) after Major General Irvin McDowell (Cullum 963) and later designated Fort McDowell on 5 Apr 1879. Ordered abandoned in 1890.
Established to safeguard the trans-Arizona trails and to control hostile Indians. Ordered abandoned on 18 Jun 1890, it was transferred to the Interior Department on 1 Oct 1890 and became the Yavapai Indian Agency in 1891.
Currently part of the Fort McDowell Indian Reservation. Only unidentified, scattered ruins are visible.
Visited: 28 Oct 2009