Camp McKee (2)
Camp McKee (2) (1865-1866) - A Snake War Camp established in 1865 near Gerlach, Washoe County, Nevada. Named Camp McKee after an unknown person. Abandoned in 1866. Also known as Granite Creek Station and Detachment at Granite Creek.
The Granite Creek stage station was located on Granite Creek along the Susanville to Humboldt River road about five miles north of present-day Gerlach in Washoe County, Nevada. The station had only two buildings and a stone-walled corral. It was the first stop with fresh water after the westward crossing of the Black Rock Desert. The road was known as the Fort Kearny-South Pass-Honey Lake Wagon Road, also called the Humboldt Wagon Road.
On 1 Apr 1865 the Granite Creek Station was attacked by a Paiute war party. Two employees were killed in the attack while a third escaped, only to be caught and burned alive.
In December 1865, detachments of soldiers were stationed along the Susanville to Humboldt River road at the stage stations, including the Granite Creek Stage Station. The Granite Creek Station post was later established on 20 Jun 1866 and named Camp McKee for an unknown person.
In October 1866, Camp McKee was abandoned as a military post, and the government property was moved to Fort McGarry.
Stone foundations can still be seen at Camp McKee (Granite Creek Station site) on the Google map below.