Camp Monte Sano
Camp Monte Sano (1888-1898) - A rest and recovery Camp established in 1888 near the mountain community of Monte Sano in Madison County, Alabama. Named Camp Monte Sano after the location. Abandoned in 1898 after the departure of returning Spanish American War troops.
Established in 1888 as a rest and recovery camp from yellow fever and malaria by personnel from Fort Barrancas near Pensacola, Florida. The camp was on a high plateau overlooking the city of Huntsville, Alabama. . The Camp was described as having some 20 acres with a hospital. The boundaries of the camp were Monte Sano Boulevard west on Panorama Drive and Hutchens Avenue to Crescent Circle at Monte Sano.
With clean air and abundant spring water, the camp was billed as a rest and recovery camp as well as a refuge from yellow fever and malaria by personnel from Fort Barrancas near Pensacola, Florida. This ideal set of conditions was supplemented by easy access via the Monte Sano-Beltline and Monte Sano Railroad (1888-1897) and the nearby luxurious 233 room Monte Sano Hotel (1887-1900). It is likely that some of the military personnel brought their families with them and stayed at the hotel during the hot summer months. There are references to one military ball that attracted 250 people.
The last group of military men to attend Camp Monte Sano was reportedly regular U.S. Army troops returning from Spanish American War duty in Cuba in 1898. The vast number of volunteer regiments in Huntsville for that war were quartered below in Camp Wheeler later Camp Albert G. Forse.
Marker at the intersection of Panorama Drive Southeast and Monte Sano Boulevard Southeast, on the right, when traveling west on Panorama Drive Southeast.
Visited: 4 Aug 2021